Boasting a sweet potato topping instead of a traditional white potato topping, this Paleo and Whole30 compliant Instant Pot Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie adds some amazing sweet flavour to this traditionally savoury, classic comfort food dish. This recipe is not low FODMAP (see notes below).
SWEET POTATO TOPPING:
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large pieces (about 2″ in width)
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup ghee
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
SHEPHERD’S PIE FILLING:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen green beans, chopped into small pieces
- ½ medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- Pour 1 cup of water in to the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Place trivet inside and put the sweet potato pieces on top of the trivet. Close the lid and set pressure release valve to sealing. Press the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button and set timer for 8 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, quick release the pressure. Open the lid, and carefully transfer the cooked sweet potatoes to a large bowl, cover with a lid or plate, and set aside. Pour the water out of the inner pot and dry completely with a paper towel.
- Put the inner pot back into the Instant Pot and press the “Saute” button. Once the display reads “Hot,” add the ground beef, carrots, green beans, onion and garlic. Using a plastic spoon, break up the ground beef into smaller pieces and saute with the vegetables for 12 minutes or until carrots are tender, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, add almond/coconut milk, ghee and nutmeg to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Recover bowl and set aside.
- Once the filling mixture has finished cooking, press the “Cancel” button on the Instant Pot and using hotpads, carefully remove the inner pot and place on a pot holder. Add the salt, pepper, oregano and thyme to the inner pot and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Preheat broiler and plate oven rack to the top position. While the broiler preheats, using a slotted spoon, spoon the filling mixture into a casserole dish (I use an 8″ x 11″ glass baking dish) and spread evenly in the dish. Scoop the potatoes onto the filling and spread evenly with a spatula. Broil for 5 minutes, watching carefully to avoid burning. Remove from the oven once the potatoes are a bit crusty on the top and the juices in the meat mixture are bubbling. Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe is not low FODMAP; however, this classic Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie is low FODMAP and has a very similar process.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: instant pot, pressure cooker, instant pot recipes, pressure cooker recipes, shepherd's pie, sweet potato shepherd's pie, paleo, whole30, dinner, comfort food