This Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs One-Pot Meal features simple yet flavourful homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs cooked together with brown rice noodles to make a low FODMAP, gluten-free classic Italian one-pot meal! Or, make just the sauce and meatballs for a Paleo / Whole30 compliant option.
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ tbsp low FODMAP Italian seasoning, store-bought or homemade
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 tbsp low FODMAP Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
FOR THE ONE-POT MEAL WITH NOODLES:
- 3 cups cold water
- 12 ounces brown rice spaghetti noodles
FOR THE PALEO / WHOLE30 NOODLE-LESS OPTION:
- ¼ cup low sodium beef broth (Paleo, Whole30 & Low FODMAP)
- Fresh Italian parsley or basil, finely chopped
- In a food processor, add sauce ingredients and process on low for 1 minute, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula after 20 seconds. Let sit to allow the flavours to meld while you prepare the other ingredients. Make the night before for even better flavour!
- FOR THE ONE-POT MEAL WITH NOODLES: In the largest bowl you have, add the meatball ingredients and mix with your hands until well combined. Roll into 26-28 golf ball-sized balls, about 2 tbsp each, and place into the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, ideally in one layer, leaving a little space in between. Pour the sauce from the food processor over the meatballs.
- Pour 3 cups of cold water on top of the sauce. Break the noodles in half and evenly layer on top of the meatballs in a crisscross fashion to prevent the noodles from clumping together (see post above for a more detailed explanation). Attempt to submerge all of the noodles into the water but don’t press too hard as it could squish the meatballs.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set pressure release valve to “Sealing.” Press the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button and set timer for 8 minutes. It will take a while for the pot to come to pressure (about 18 minutes).
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, quick release the pressure. Open the lid and stir everything in the pot with a spoon. The sauce will appear watery at first – this is normal. It will thicken as it stands. Place the lid back on the Instant Pot and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Carefully test one of the noodles to see if it is to your desired tenderness, and if not, allow to sit, covered, for 5 more minutes.
- Once the noodles are to your desired tenderness and the sauce has thickened, serve the spaghetti directly from the pot or move it to a serving vessel. Garnish with freshly chopped Italian parsley or basil (optional) and serve.
- FOR THE PALEO / WHOLE30 NOODLE-LESS OPTION: In the largest bowl you have, add the meatball ingredients and mix with your hands until well combined. Roll into 26-28 golf ball-sized balls, about 2 tbsp each, and place on a large plate.
- Pour sauce from the food processor into the Instant Pot, add the 1/4 cup beef broth, and stir until combined. Using tongs, place the meatballs into the sauce, ideally in one layer, leaving a little space in between each meatball and rolling each ball so that it is covered in the sauce. Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to “Sealing.” Hit the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button and set the timer for 8 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, quick release the pressure. Open the lid and stir the sauce and meatballs with a spoon. The sauce will appear watery at first – this is normal. Allow to sit, uncovered, for 5 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Serve on your favourite starch option, such as carrot or parsnip noodles (Low FODMAP, Paleo and Whole30), zoodles (low FODMAP up to 1/3 cup per Monash University, Paleo and Whole30), or the low FODMAP option of my Instant Pot “Garlic” Mashed Potatoes recipe (Low FODMAP, Paleo and Whole30).
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: spaghetti, spaghetti recipes, instant pot spaghetti, instant pot spaghetti and meatballs, spaghetti and meatballs one-pot meal, low fodmap spaghetti and meatballs, paleo spaghetti sauce and meatballs, whole30 spaghetti sauce and meatballs, Italian recipe