So comforting and hearty, this Instant Pot / Slow Cooker Beef Stew boasts tender beef and veggies stewed in a silky, flavourful broth. It’s also Low FODMAP and Whole30 with an easy Paleo option.
- 1.5 lbs boneless beef chuck or beef stew meat, chopped into 1” cubes
- 3 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 cup leek, dark green leaves only, finely chopped
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth, divided (Paleo, Whole30 & Low FODMAP)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp low FODMAP Italian seasoning (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- 4 large carrots (about 12 oz.), peeled and chopped on the bias into 1” chunks
- 2 lbs red potatoes, chopped into 1” cubes
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- 2 tsp cold water
- ½ cup frozen green peas (omit for Paleo option)*
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Hit “Saute” on your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. As the Instant Pot heats up, generously sprinkle the meat on all sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Once the display reads “Hot,” add 2 tbsp of garlic-infused olive oil and swirl the pot to coat. Using tongs, add half of the seasoned meat and sauté for 1 minute per side (add a few pieces at a time to speed up this process). The meat will soak up the oil rapidly, so add more oil if it starts to burn. Remove meat to a plate and repeat for the other half of the meat. Set plate aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of garlic infused oil to the Instant Pot and swirl the pot to coat. Add the chopped leek and Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Hit “Cancel” on the Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of beef broth to the Instant Pot, wait about 15 seconds, and scrape the bottom of the pot clean with a plastic spoon.
- Add remaining 2 cups of beef broth, tomato paste, coconut aminos, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, black pepper, and oregano leaves to the pot. Stir until well combined and the tomato paste has fully dissolved into the broth.
- Add meat back to the pot, scraping any remaining juices and seasoning from the plate into the pot with a spatula (leave no flavour behind!). Add chopped carrots and potatoes and stir to coat everything in the broth. Place bay leaves on the top of everything without stirring.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to “Sealing.” Press the “Meat/Stew” button and set the timer for 40 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, quick release the pressure. Open lid. Using tongs, remove and discard bay leaf. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together 2 tsp tapioca flour with 2 tsp of cold water to make a slurry. Hit Saute on the Instant Pot and wait about 20-30 seconds for the stew to start boiling. While gently and slowly stirring with a fresh plastic spoon, slowly pour the slurry into the bubbling broth. Continue to stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute for broth to thicken. If you prefer a thicker broth, add additional teaspoons of tapioca flour and cold water (1 tsp flour / 1 tsp water) to the broth in the same manner until it is to your desired thickness.
- Hit Cancel on the Instant Pot, remove the inner pot and place on a hot pad. Add frozen peas (if using) to the stew and gently stir. The peas will quickly cook in the broth’s residual heat. Ladle stew into bowls and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Place a large skillet on the stove top on medium high heat and add 2 tbsp of the garlic infused olive oil. While the skillet is heating up, generously sprinkle the meat with kosher salt and black pepper. Once the skillet is hot, using tongs, add and sear meat for 1 minute per side. Remove meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of garlic-infused olive oil to the skillet. Add leek and saute for 2 minutes. Pour 1 cup of broth into the skillet and scrape up anything on the bottom of the pan. Remove skillet from heat. Pour skillet contents into a slow cooker, using a heat resistant spatula to scrape every piece of leek into the slow cooker.
- Add remaining 2 cups of broth into the slow cooker as well as the tomato paste, coconut aminos, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, pepper, and oregano leaves. Stir until well combined and the tomato paste has fully dissolved into the broth. Add meat to the broth, scraping any remaining juices and seasoning from the plate into the slow cooker with a spatula (leave no flavour behind!). Add carrots and potatoes and stir to coat everything in broth. Put bay leaves on the top without stirring and close the lid.
- Set timer for 6-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Once the cooking time is finished, using tongs, remove and discard bay leaf. Combine tapioca flour and water in a small bowl or measuring cup to make a slurry. Slowly add the slurry to the bubbling stew while gently stirring for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If you prefer a thicker broth, add additional teaspoons of tapioca flour and cold water (1 tsp flour / 1 tsp water) to the broth in the same manner until it is to your desired thickness. Turn off slow cooker.
- Gently stir in frozen peas (if using them). Ladle stew into bowls and serve.
- Low FODMAP at one, 1 and 1/8 cup serving.
- *FODMAPs: Per Monash University’s Low FODMAP Diet App, green peas are considered tolerable for individuals with IBS in quantities of 1 tbsp per serving. See post above for more information on FODMAPs.
- *Green peas have been recently approved for the Whole30.
- *If eating strictly Paleo, omit peas.
- Category: Soup & Stew
- Method: Instant Pot / Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef stew, instant pot beef stew, pressure cooker beef stew, slow cooker beef stew, crockpot beef stew, paleo beef stew, whole30 beef stew, low FODMAP beef stew, beef recipes