Transport yourself to warm, summertime barbecues by taking just one bite of this Instant Pot Pulled Pork slathered with homemade barbecue sauce. Fall-apart tender and full of flavour, the Instant Pot makes this delectable Southern barbecue dish enjoyable year-round! Paleo (without the bun) and low FODMAP. Make the barbecue sauce a day in advance for even better flavour!
- 3–4 lbs pork shoulder
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
PULLED PORK DRY RUB:
- 2 tbsp maple sugar (coconut sugar also works if not low FODMAP)
- 1 tbsp dried chives
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder (regular chili powder works, too!)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- A full batch of my homemade barbecue sauce recipe**
- 1 cup cold water
- Start by making a full batch of my homemade barbecue sauce recipe, or make it a day in advance to achieve even better flavour.
- While the barbecue sauce is simmering, dry pork shoulder with paper towels and chop into 6 equal(ish) pieces.
- In a small bowl, add pulled pork dry rub ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Cover each piece of the pulled pork on all sides. I typically just dip each piece into the rub, or you can apply the rub to the pork with your hands.
- Once the barbecue sauce is done simmering, remove from heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Hit the “Saute” button on the Instant Pot and add the garlic-infused olive oil. Once the display reads “Hot,” using tongs, add half of the pork pieces and sear each side for 1 minute. Remove seared pork to a plate and repeat for the remaining pieces of pork.
- Once all of the pork pieces are seared and removed from the pot, hit “Cancel” on the Instant Pot and slowly pour 1 cup of cold water to the pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot clean with a plastic spoon.
- Once the barbecue sauce has cooled for 10-15 minutes, add half of the sauce to the Instant Pot and stir to combine with the water. Add all of the pork back into the pot and cover with sauce on all sides. Scrape any pork juices left on the plate into the pot using a spatula (leave no flavour behind!).
- Close the lid, set pressure release valve to sealing, hit the “Meat” button, and set timer for 60 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, hit “Cancel” on the Instant Pot and quick release pressure. Open lid, and using a slotted spoon, carefully remove pork to a platter or bowl. Using two forks, pull pork apart. Add the remaining barbecue sauce (as much as you’d like – you may not need all of it) to the pork and stir to coat. Serve on a gluten-free bun (not for Paleo), potato bun, baked potato or sweet potato (not for low FODMAP), or another starch of your choosing.
*Cooking time does not reflect the time required to make the homemade barbecue sauce.
**You could potentially make this with a store-bought Paleo/low FODMAP barbecue sauce (32 oz), but I have not tested this with one myself, so I cannot guarantee that you will not get a burn error as some barbecue sauces are thicker/starchier than others. If your sauce is particularly thick, you can always add more water to the pot to try to prevent burn errors.
Adapted from Slick Housewives
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot pulled pork, instant pot BBQ pulled pork, instant pot recipes, pulled pork sandwich, barbecue, BBQ, paleo, low FODMAP