Tender, boneless pork chops, melt-in-your-mouth carrots and savoury mashed potatoes slathered in delectable gravy – all made in one pot with the Instant Pot! Paleo, Whole30 and low FODMAP.
FOR THE PORK CHOPS:
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil *
- 4 thick cut boneless pork chops, minimum 1 ¼” thick or they will overcook
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried chives*
- ¼ tsp cayenne (optional – omit for less heat)
- 1 cup chicken bone broth (low FODMAP and Paleo/Whole30 compliant)
- ½ cup leek, green parts only, finely-chopped*
- 4 large carrots (about 1 lb), peeled and chopped into 3 large chunks, then halved or quartered depending on size
- Fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
FOR THE MASHED POTATOES:
- 5 medium-sized russet potatoes (about 2 lbs), skin-on or peeled (large russet potatoes will come out undercooked)
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
FOR THE GRAVY:
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- Hit the Saute button on the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker and add 2 tbsps garlic-infused olive oil. While the Instant Pot is heating up, pat pork chops dry with a paper towel. In a small bowl, add pork chop seasonings salt through cayenne and whisk to combine. Sprinkle rub liberally on one side and the edges of each pork chop.
- Once the display on the Instant Pot reads “Hot,” add two of the chops, seasoning side down, and sear for 2 minutes. Carefully sprinkle half of the remaining rub on the unseasoned side of the pork chops while they sear. Using tongs, flip to the other side and sear 2 minutes. Once seared, put the chops on a plate and follow the same steps for the remaining two chops.
- After the chops are seared, out of the pot and resting on a plate, add leek to the pot and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Hit the “Cancel” button on the Instant Pot and pour in the chicken broth to deglaze the pot. Wait about 15 seconds, then scrape the bottom of the pot clean with a plastic spoon.
- Put the potatoes in the pot so they are resting in the broth in one layer. Rest the Instant Pot’s trivet on top of the potatoes, and place the carrots on top of the trivet in one layer. Using tongs, put the pork chops directly on top of the carrots, preferably in one layer. Use a spatula to scrape the pork chop juices off of the plate the chops were resting on into the pot (leave no flavour behind!!!).
- Once everything is in the pot, close the lid and set the pressure release valve to “Sealing.” Hit the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button and set the timer for 10 minutes. Turn off the “Keep Warm” function.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed and the timer beeps, natural release for 10 minutes (set a separate kitchen timer for 10 minutes so that the chops do not remain in the pot beyond the 10 minutes). Quick release the remaining pressure.
- Open lid, carefully remove the pork chops and carrots to a serving platter with tongs and cover with a plate to keep warm while you make the mashed potatoes and gravy.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the potatoes from the pot into a large bowl, leaving the juices behind in the pot. Add the almond milk, ghee, salt and pepper to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher until to your desired consistency. Set potatoes aside while you make the gravy.
- In a measuring cup, add tapioca flour to ½ cup almond milk and whisk to combine. Hit the “Sauté” button on the Instant Pot and wait until the juices at the bottom of the pot begin to boil (this should only take a few seconds). Begin to gently whisk the juices, and while doing so, slowly pour the milk mixture into the pot. Continue to whisk until the juices thicken to form a luscious gravy (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Hit “Cancel” on the Instant Pot, carefully remove the inner pot and place on a hot pad so the gravy does not burn. Serve gravy with the rest of the meal and enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot, pressure cooker, pork chops, one-pot meal, easy dinners, paleo, whole30, low fodmap